Sunday, February 6, 2011

Gettin' Ziggy With It

That's right. After living here for 9 months next to the Ziggurat of Ur, I finally went to see it! We took a field trip to the site an one of the locals gave us an awesome tour of the Ziggurat, the old city of Ur, and Abraham's house. Yes, THE Abraham from Genesis. If you look back, he was born in the town of Ur, also known as the piles of ruins outside the base I'm living on. So, it was a historical adventure! Here are some of the pictures:

My platoon on the Ziggurat steps.

The 3 LTs in my Company doing our own rendition of Charlie's Angels. Matt... you're awesome.

My artsy shot on top of the Ziggurat. I can see my CHU from here!

My platoon sergeant and I on top of the Ziggurat

The gang on top of the Ziggurat. The ruins behind us are the ancient palace of Ur and the Royal Tombs.

My battle buddy: Di'Anna

On the steps of the Ziggurat with Nicole; she and I have been together since commissioning and I snuck her in to my company trip ;-)

Me on top of Abraham's house. I'm where the roof would have been. The foundation is the original, but the building itself was rebuilt in 1999 because the pope wanted to come pray at Abraham's house. Unfortunately, Saddam was not the kindest host and the pope stayed away for his own safety... The house is nifty though!
I had a blast. Our tour guide was extremely knowledgeable on the whole area and the history, so he was a wealth of knowledge for all the things we could think of to ask. I go to go down into the royal tombs and feel like an archaeologist and have fun with photography and learn some nifty history... definitely an awesome day.

1 comment:

  1. "Our house, is a very, very, very nice house with 2 camels in the yard . . " Nifty you say?

    ReplyDelete