The process of teaching my job to the incoming unit has been more of a test of my ability to let go than my ability to teach my mission. I know the mission like the back of my hand and have never been worried about teaching someone else how to do it. I was surprised, however, at how territorial I was. I've signed everything over to the new PL, so none of the equipment belongs to me, yet I freaked out when I saw one of "my" trucks in the maintenance bay. I started wondering what was wrong with it and why I hadn't been told... then I realized it's not my truck anymore. And the new unit does things differently and changed many of the things I had set up... it's hard to let go. I have been, however. It's been fun introducing the new PL to the sheikhs; he is definitely going to have to get more comfortable with that. He's constantly worried about offending them. He's doing quite well, but he also needs to learn how to each the food... he almost threw up on a tomato... luckily the sheikh was looking the other way and I was the only one who saw it. It was hillarious.
Tent life is all it's cracked up to be. The cot is hard, the heater decides when it wants to work, everything is covered with sand, and you are constantly aware of your tent-mates. We're having a blast, though. We've had a girl's movie night, chatted, and are just overall excited we're leaving soon. The other female LT and I fixed the heater using a roll of duct tape, which I'm sure was humorous to watch; we shall see if it holds.
Something else that has made these last few days fantastic has been my brother Jason's graduation from Air Force Basic Training. I am so ridiculously proud of him. He is now and Airman First Class and is training in Mississippi. He's the class leader and loving every minute of it. Thanks to all of you who have been his support network; it means the world to him, and to me. You guys are the best. And J, I know you can't read this now, but know I love you, am proud of you, and I owe you a celebratory drink!
Counting the days until I'm home. Love you all!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment